Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mountain Holiday


Native flowers in Blue Mountains National Park

I've spent the last week in the Blue Mountains, NSW, having a rest with my partner. We have often returned to Leura or Blackheath when we've needed to rest, rejuvenate and press reset. This time we rented a lovely self contained home, with private rainforest gardens, a fire for the boy to play with, and a spa for unwidning after a full day of unwinding! I think both of us needed this break, which was like a time for reflection and resetting goals, hopes and dreams.

We arrived at the cottage late sunday evening after stopping at the pub for a real mountain dinner, pot pies, and found the cottage was warm & toasty with the fire already alight. There was jazz playing on the CD, lights dimmed for welcoming, and a basket of fresh fruit, organic meusli, 'his' and 'hers' milk in the fridge, real coffee, and a gorgeous selection of tea's in the 'Tea Bar'.

View from the kitchen window at the cottage
We went bush walking or mountain biking most days (although nothing too grand) and enjoyed eating out in cozie cafes with log fires and hearty minestrone soups.






I loved the reading room, with reading chairs I could sit in all day, and I felt like I read for hours. Sadly though, I can only report on completing one of the six I took with me - Murakami's "Kafka on the shore' (see review soon). I also spent a little time on my French homework - revisiting 'le complements d'objet direct et indirect' and 'le subjonctif'.

On our trip home, my partner stopped in to a tea specialty shop and found me a collection of teas for my own little 'Tea Bar' - Blood Orange Tea, Stockholm Blend (Vanilla, Apricot, Rose, Safflowers & Calendula) and a special brew of Chai Masala with rose. I'd be interested if anyone would like to recommend a special tea blend to be added to my 'Tea Bar'..

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Hi Tamara! Sounds like you've enjoyed your break up here - your photos are fantastic. I'd be interested to know where you stayed as friends are often asking us for tips, and also where the specialty tea shop is that you found (there used to be one at Wentworth Falls but it closed recently). My email is chooksrus4 at gmail dot com

Tamara said...

Hi Jacqui, I will email you as well, but for others interested it was shuffleshoes and you can google them.